Top 2 Recommendations for Seniors for Healthy Teeth in Old Age
- Have a regular dental check-up
- When examining an elderly patient, the dentist, who leads the observation, may take into account the history of examinations:
- Approximate date and reason for the last visit to the dentist;
- What changes have occurred in the oral cavity of an elderly person;
- Whether the teeth are sensitive or unstable;
- What is the state of taste, whether discomfort appeared in the process of chewing and swallowing food;
- Whether pains and discomfort appeared in the oral cavity, whether there were inflammations and bleeding of the gums;
- Did various bumps and tumors, etc. appear
Also during the examination, the dentist checks the face and neck of an elderly person in order to prevent discoloration of the skin, the appearance of moles and tumors; bite (were there any problems when an elderly person opens and closes his mouth); the jaw (the work of the temporomandibular joint is not accompanied by a click); lymph nodes and salivary glands (for swelling); the inner surface of the cheeks (whether infections, ulcers and traumatic injuries have appeared); the tongue and the inner surface of the oral cavity, the gums (if there are various infections and oncological diseases of the oral cavity) and, of course, teeth (checks the condition of fillings, caries and cracks). If an elderly person wears dentures, the physician must ensure that the product is not worn or broken, and also carefully examine the areas that are adjacent to the location of the prosthesis.
The Importance of Massaging Your Gums
It is recommended to perform a daily massage of the gums: clasp the gums with your thumb and forefinger, then make several circular movements left and right and up and down. Make a mixture: add a pinch of rock salt to one teaspoon of mustard oil. This paste should be distributed in the gums and massage them. Do not exert strong pressure on the gums. Do not worry if the gums bleed a little during the massage. After the procedure, rinse your mouth with warm water. This massage is recommended for older people in the treatment of periodontal disease. Its action is aimed at strengthening gums and fighting bacteria. You can also make a paste of ground turmeric in the same quantity. Overlay it at night. The paste can also help relieve acute inflammation. About Medigap: Medigap or Medicare supplement plans allow the elderly pay for expenses such as copay, deductible, etc.